The New Mexico Quilters Association is proud to offer lectures by contemporary quilters for its members and friends. Each year, a diverse group of nationally and internationally known instructors are scheduled to provide a lecture at scheduled general meetings. The following are the individuals and dates for 2020.
NMQA meets at the University of New Mexico Continuing Education Center, 1634 University Blvd. NE in Room C on the north side of the center. Meetings alternate between 9:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.
NOTE: Visitors are welcome to attend one meeting as our guest.
Memberships cost $35 per year.
Demo Play Day
Demonstrations of various quilting techniques.
Business meeting and election of 2020 NMQA Officers.
Holiday Celebration of NMQA
We will take this opportunity to look back at the year's activities and reflect on ways they have contributed to the community and enriched the lives of the recipients and the guild members.
Monday, January 27, 202o 9:30 a.m.
Business meeting. Installation of new officers. Review of the 2020 budget.
Monday, February 24, 2020 6:30 p.m.
Marisela Rumberg, "Legends, Stories, Traditions and Quilts."
Did you know the celebration of the “Day of the Dead” is actually a happy holiday in Mexico? Who is La Catrina? And how is she related to Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera? Have you ever visited Cancun or the Rivera Maya? Did you hear about Princess Nicte-Ha?
In this lecture Marisela will answer those questions and more. Stories and history inspire her. From Mayan legends to folksy sayings to Proverbs - she will share with you some of the fabulous legends, romantic stories and treasured traditions behind some of my quilts that have been exhibited in quilt shows around the world.
Monday, March 23, 2020 9:30 a.m.
Colleen Granger, "Quilting is Cheaper than Therapy, a Look at the Lighter Side of Quilting."
- Why would anyone want to be a quilter, it is such a waste of good fabric?
- Making the transition from sewer to quilter.
- Needles don't have to break to be changed.
- How to become a long-arm quilter in less than a month.
- Preparing your quilt to be machine quilted.
- Selecting the right batting for your quilt and see the results.
- Where to find motivation for an original quilting design.
- There is no such thing as the Quilt Police.
- Rings of Change -her newest design (black background)
Monday, April 27, 202o 6:30 p.m.
Speakers from the guild. Dinner Potluck.